Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 

Step #2: Identify Your Unique ways of Denying, Avoiding and Repressing...

Step #2: Identify your unique ways of Denying, Avoiding and Repressing your emotions. This is a Gigantum step that you must do. Study Chapter 6 again and review the November Newsletter in the Appendix.

Chronic, conditioned thought patterns and behaviors are the most common ways that people experiencing chronic pain (cause) generate and maintain their chronic pain (effect).

The most common ways of repressing are:
Angry Outburst
Anger Suppression
Workaholism
Being Perfectionistic
Ideal Role Playing (playing the perfect parent, spouse, employee, boss, athlete)
Complaining & Judging
Controlling and Manipulating
Worry
Self-Conscious thts and behaviors
Waiting & Searching
Intelllectism
thinking, analyzing, needing to know how

Begin to watch, listen and observe your inner chatter and behaviors...Identify how you deny and resist your feelings. You must be able to do this before you can stop them and/or change them and effectively reverse the pain disorder.

Monte Hueftle

http://www.runningpain.com
monte@runningpain.com

Comments:
Author:Anonymous
I admit to confusion. Sarno says that pain is a distraction (what he calls a "defense") to experiencing emotions. You are saying that pain results from locked up emotions. The pain is a "signal" sent by my brain telling me that my emotions want to get out, " to be free flowing". If it is a signal, it is the opposite of a "distraction". You state that the gatekeepers which repress these emotions are certain personality traits. I admit to most of the traits on your list - hard working, doing the best I can, worrying, self-control, intellectualism, thoughtfulness and the need to know how and why things happen. Sarno says that you can get rid of the pain by simply understanding how the pain strategy works. That it is not necessary and probably not possible to change your personality, which you describe as thought patterns. My impression is that you believe that it is necessary to change your thought patterns. I have attempted to become a third party observer of my internal chatter - of my worry and fear. And at times have remarked to myself, "What a ridiculous concern." May I have your thoughts?

--Dave McG
2006-12-22 01:40:34 GMT
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!